Cranes & Derricks
OSHA Cranes & Derricks Rule
Recommended Safety Practices for All Workers
Whether you operate heavy equipment or use handheld tools, when you work outdoors you work around power lines and natural gas pipelines. Use these tips to stay safe:
- Be aware of power lines and gas pipelines at your job site.
- Call your underground utility locator service or 811 well in advance of digging or moving earth in any way.
- Stay at least 10 feet away from overhead power lines carrying up to 50kV.
- Cranes and derricks: Keep equipment at least 20 feet away if line voltage is unknown.
- Use a dedicated spotter when operating heavy equipment.
- Do not try to guide a load and be a spotter at the same time.
- Learn how to recognize and respond to a natural gas pipeline leak.
- Know what to do if your equipment contacts a power line or gas line.
To report emergency situations, call 911 and the local utility immediately.
For more information visit the OSHA website at www.osha.gov.
Copyright 2010 Culver Media, LLC. All rights reserved. Not for print reproduction or distribution.